A different Ganga !

A different Ganga !

The river Ganga - the most sacred river of India - is pretty familiar with me :). I spent good 3 years in the city of Varanasi while studying graduation at BHU. (Benaras Hindu University). A river has a life of its own, driven by the people living around it and also independently. If you are sensitive, you can tune in to that life , can communicate with it , find solace in its company :) I was never a very religious person, so when I first landed up in Benaras, I had a hard time accepting so much of religious activities going around. But even amidst so much of external pomp & show, there were a few things that did touch my heart like the aaratis on the bank of the river or the smell of chandan and flowers in the ghats. The Gadoliya (means the twilight between day & night) ghat is one of the most famous ghats of the city. More than this ghat, I used to be fond of the Assi ghat which was closer to my university.I have spent countless evenings in that ghat sometimes in celebrations sometimes in solitude even amongst friends. Sometimes just sitting by, watching the sun set or the water flowing by, created a connection, a longing or a tranquility which I did not get even being with my most loved one. Ganga at Varanasi is like a woman in her late thirties or early forties, someone who has seen and experienced a vast expanse of emotions and events and is able to exude confidence when dealing with completely new situations. Not only that she is able to welcome any wearied traveler in her heart with compassion and love. That was Ganga for me in those years (1996 - 1998)

I visited her again during Kumbh in Rsihikesh !!! What a place to be in and a what a time .. Me of 1998 was a much different person than me of 2010. Much water has flown :) Coming from Haridwar to Rishikesh, I saw scores of Sadhus and Sadhaks.. and then I got a glimpse of "Her" as we were crossing a bridge (most probably har ki paudi). And I was really taken aback :) though not sure why ! May be in my mind, I had started associated Ganga as a calm , composed , dignified and albeit a somber personality. What I was instead was a playful Ganga who was simply rushing, laughing and teasing the things and the people along the way. I was simply thrilled at the freshness and exuberance that Ganga exhibited.. Felt that old bonding with her... with a newness :)

I had a quite a few chances of close encounters with "her" in Rishikesh and Haridwar. The closest was ofcourse the dips that I took on the day of the Shahi Snan and other days ... The most special was ofcourse the dip that I took on Shahi Snan day (13th Mar, 2010) just after Guruji took HIS ... The other was the bath that I took on an afternoon in Radha ghat which is just next to Swami Swatandranand's ashram. It is not a typical bathing ghat but that did not deter us from taking a bath there. Here I must stop and thank my dearest friend Debarati for enthusing me to take the dive for the deep !!! It was absolute fun to stand in that cold flowing water and playing with it. The river was simultaneously a playful friend and a quiet a philosopher :) it is a most unusual combination but that was what Ganga at Rishikesh. It evokes such a playful , natural spirituality !!! No wonder Rishikesh is Rishikesh and Ganga is Ganga.. I have to go to Rishikesh/Haridwar atleast 1 more time in this life !!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The trip to Madhya Pradesh by road

Do not let the child grow

Time with Kids